Thursday 13 January 2011

Here's hoping!

It's interesting how conversations can lead to something beneficial. I was talking to someone I know on line yesterday when they quite pointedly started to ask me about my working situation. As I don't know this person very well, their questioning came across as a bit rude. They wanted to know my educational background, what position I was in now, whether I was satisfied with the money I was making, if not why did I not return to my former incarnation as a PA, etc. On the PA issue, I explained that as I absolutely hated being a PA I would no longer be returning to that field; I wanted to make my living as a writer. Our conversation then went like this:

Him: You should write a blog.
Me: I already do.
Him: Blogging can be a good way of generating new business leads. I know of someone who has got thousands of dollars worth of new business from doing this.
Me: Yes I know. I blogged for a few companies before, but there was the issue of being paid once the recession really kicked in, especially if they were small businesses.
Him: I should do a blog
Me: Why don't you write one then?
Him: I'm no good at writing and research...but you could do it for me.
Me: Yes, I guess I could!
Him: Great! Here is the site of my competitor. Have a look at it and see what you think.
Me: Will do! I will go through it and then draft a list of questions for you to answer as to what you want for your site!
Him: Excellent! Oh, by the way, how much do you charge?
By this time my business brain was fully awake!
Me: Once you let me know the level of input and work you want me to undertake, I will let you know
Him: Great, speak to you soon!

Not a bad result for a Wednesday afternoon! I was hoping for new doors of opportunity to open for me this year and here's one! Will keep you posted on how it all goes!

No comments: